Tuesday, March 31, 2009

WII FIT = WTF

My kids are like millions of kids everywhere in that they like video games. Other than a 6 month stint as a overnight Techmo Bowl guy in college, I have never really been into video games. My son got Wii Fit for his upcoming birthday and since I turned 39 last Thursday, I decided to go and check it out. Few will argue I could stand to lose a few LBS but most who have seen me in action will also tell you I am still pretty athletic for an old fat guy. I can still run a 10 minute mile, do 30 push ups, have a pretty good jump shot and can still hit a baseball and golf ball with just about anybody. So I feel like I am doing OK, not great but OK. Well, Wii Fit would beg to differ!! I signed up tonight in hopes to see where I ranked and maybe get on a program to lose a few pounds. After standing on the game board and doing some stupid balancing test, the Wii basically said I was going to die next week! the lady went on to say, she wasn't sure how I got out of bed each day and asked if I fell down a lot when I walked!! It DIDNT ask if I was athletic, if I could run a 10 minute mile or how my jump shot was. My BMI or BPI was off the chart!! AND it said I should be 54 years old and was weak!! Now, when I went up to play this "fitness game" I felt ok about my life and was ready to trim down a bit for swimsuit season but after being laughed at by Wii, I was sad and going to get some ice cream before I sat down to write out my last will and testiment. Just as I was getting ready to get some Carmel sauce and go into a deep depression, something dawned on me.. Wii Fit was not made in America. It was made in China or Japan by a group of 5' ,110lb china men that most likely eat a lot of rice and play speed golf for fun. A lot of small guys that were put into trash cans by future sumo wrestlers in high school. I am not sure these guys have the life experience to judge the quality of my physical makeup. Now, don't get me wrong, I am sure that if you just look at my numbers on a game board and my balance, my future may not look that bright but when you look at the whole me, you will see I am not a 500 lb ,54 year old that is living on deaths door! I am instead, a 39 year old pretty fat guy that can still bring it, in a lot of arenas and until that fades, I feel pretty good.
If you listen to the Fat Jack Sports Hour you know I have picked the last 4 NCAA Champions BEFORE March 5th. This is before the conference tournaments and well before the NCAA brackets are out. This season, I gave UCONN as the eventual winner and with 2 games to go I feel pretty good about my prediction. We just finished a nice week winning Thurs, Friday and Sat and pushing on Sunday. Hopefully this week goes just as well.
My father in law comes into town on Thursday night. He is the example of a guy that swims a mile each day, has a great BMI and I am sure the Chinese in the Wii game would love but he is still a douche and no matter how thin he gets will still not be a good looking or healthy person. There is a lot more to health than your BPI. Have a great week and good luck in the games.