Friday, December 7, 2007

THE WEEKEND IS HERE !!

I am excited about this weekend.

There are a few things I really love about being a parent. One of them is the fact that I really feel like I can teach them a few things that will help them be better people. This weekend I get to give a lesson that I think is VERY important and one that I struggle with myself.

We are all given a lot of blessings and this is the time of the year we all need to reflect on those blessings. For example..

I am thankful that my daughter isn't one of those girls I wrote about in my last blog!

I am thankful that I haven't lost ALL of my hair yet. I few years ago it looked like I would be bald by now BUT I stopped losing my hair and for that I am thankful.

and

I am thankful that they make jeans that fit me. I use to wear 52-30 pants. Try getting those at Dillards. I now wear 42-32 and for that I am thankful.

This weekend my kids and I are going to go buy presents for people that are less fortunate than we are. It is hard to make kids see that there are people that don't have the things they need.

I think this is a great way to help them understand how lucky they are. I tell them that they are blessed and that I let them eat my food and live in my house. While I spend the time we have together shopping, I will be explaining to them that it is a CHOICE that I make to allow them to live with my wife and I. AND that they better be nice or I may change my mind. I didn't read this theory in any parenting books but it works for me.

Count your blessings this weekend.