Saturday, November 15, 2008

4TH GRADE TACKLE FOOTBALL IS O V E R

Well the season is over. The Titans lost a close one Thursday night 7-6. After scoring on the first play of the game, we couldn't put it in again.(thats what she said) lol.  The other team scored late in the first half and were able to punch in their one point conversion play to move on to the finals on Sunday. I have to tell you, this is the first I have been able to talk about the season because I have really been sad it is over. When I had children, I always said I would NEVER coach my kids teams. I mean lets get serious, it is a thankless job (most of the time) requires lots of time and unless you win EVERY game, you are setting yourself up for second guessing and angry parents.  As I have said before,most people that knew me growing up will tell you I accomplished everything possible in little league sports so the concept of "living through my children in sports" is ridiculous to those that know me. So I didn't see any reason to coach. It seemed like letting others coach and just being the parent was the smart thing to do.
BUT
Now that I have had the chance to experience a season as the coach of my boys football team, I cant imagine NOT coaching. I had a blast, the kids learned a lot about football, we won a lot of games, I got to have a positive influence on some kids that needed it and I didn't have to second guess some other guy that knows half as much as I do about football.  I had a great time and cant wait until next season. In the meantime, I will work on picking winners, being a good parent and having a lot more compassion for those fathers that take time out of THEIR busy lives to have a positive influence on my children. I was wrong about coaching little league and knowing that is going to make the rest of the journey with my kids that much better.
 
Back to Vegas this week for the second round of the Natl Handicapping contest, then to Colorado for Thanksgiving. I will be checking in and am continuing to stay hot with the picks. Have a great weekend.