Tuesday, May 13, 2008

GOLF IS A REALLY DUMB GAME

As the hoops season is winding down and the weather is heating up I am being asked to play in a lot more golf tournaments.  My golfing history is a pretty interesting one. I didn't play much when I was a kid, mostly concentrating on the major sports,but after high school I got pretty good at the game. I carried a 2 handicap during my best season. The years I was playing a lot of golf , I tried NOT to play in scrambles. I felt and still feel like the only way you are ever going to win a scramble is to cheat. I didn't like cheating and I don't like losing to cheaters so I tried not to play in these events.

 Now I have children and the hard fact is, if I don't play in scrambles, I don't play. With kids stuff and my busy travel schedule, it is just easier not to play.  I have now figured out when I am at my best while playing golf.  I have played 3 times in the last 6 months and all have been scrambles or team events.  After not playing for over 2 months I shot 1 over in the Oklahoma Parks and Resorts promotion the Jim Traber and I host. I made 3 birdies and made a lot of puts on the front nine. Then yesterday I played in my churches fund raiser. My teammates were great guys and we had a lot of fun but none of them get out much to play golf.  I made 5 BIRDIES by myself at a very tough course!!! I haven't made 5 birdies in 1 round on ANY course in probably 6 years!! I had 3 holes that after hitting a great drive, I hit 6 and 7 irons to less than 2 feet. I haven't hit a 7 iron inside 10 feet in 2 years!!

So the moral to this story is, to play my best golf and shoot the best scores, I need to only play 2 or 3 times /year and try and play with great guys that are bad golfers!! Now that is a dumb game. That is like saying the best way to lose weight is to eat cake everyday. Its like saying to really enjoy a Porsche 911 Turbo is to leave it in the garage!

For me that seems to be the answer to my golfing issues. Not the shoes,I don't need new irons, I don't need to slow my swing down or go to a long putter> The secret to my golf game being its best is to NOT PLAY AT ALL!! Well, at least that fits my schedule.

Another scramble next Monday, I will let you know how it goes.