Wednesday, October 22, 2008

LITTLE LEAGUE AND BASEBALL

It has been a while since I have updated you on little league action. The last time we talked, I was "making up" with the parents at another school that competed against my 9 year olds football team. Since then a lot has changed. I have only had a couple of flare ups with parents ect and actually have really enjoyed a lot of the teams we have played against.Their coaches have been great sports and most of us are out there for the same thing. I was sure this season was going to be full of problems and suspensions. Not the case. I HAVE heard of some problems in some of the other leagues. Someone told me there was an actual fist fight between two parents in the fifth grade league. I cant confirm this but it certainly wouldn't surprise me. It obviously is totally inappropriate but with the amount of jackass parents running around out there AND the fact we are in Oklahoma, I am just saying , I wouldn't be surprised. The sad thing is , when the parents are out there with the right attitude, coaching football has been one of the highlights of my year. Keep in mind, I am having a GREAT season, but even that success doesn't make me as happy as seeing the smiles on the kids face when they do something good. I give away "Nacho players of the game" each week to some of the kids. We have the offensive and defensive awards but also have awards like the 'healthy heart " award for the kid that shows the most heart each week. The kids love getting these awards and the free nachos that come with them. Feel free to steal that idea if you are coaching a team. Trust me, the only thing a 9 year old loves more than being singled out for his good play is when that award comes with nachos.
Caytie Ross, my 6 year old daughter is in week 8 of her soccer season. I have talked about the girls on this team, they are cute little girls that love fashion and have great looking hair bows. They will not however be mistaken for the girl from Bend it Like Beckham or Mia Ham. They are not good! They are 0-8 and have lost every game by an average of 8 goals. The great thing about this is most of the girls can barely count to 8. Most don't keep score in their heads and there isn't a score board where they play. Each week my daughter asks me, "daddy, did we win?" Every week my answer is the same, " of course you won Caytie. It wasn't even close." She smiles and we go get a snack. Next week is their last game of the season, she asked me tonight," daddy, it we win this game are we the champions?" I said "Caytie, you have already secured a trophy. The only question left to be answered is how big is the trophy.That will be decided next Saturday." She looks at me with a determined look as if to say, I will do it for you daddy! That is how I prefer to go through little league. I am an "everybody gets a trophy" kind of guy.
The World Series has started. You know the networks have to be pissed! They had a chance to have LA Dodgers and Boston. Instead they get Philly and Tampa. Worst case scenario for them. I like Philly in 6 games but honestly wont watch many games unless football isn't on. Tonight it is Wedding Crashers on one TV and the baseball on the other. There are worst ways to spend a Wednesday night. I hope your Wednesday is going well also. I am finished with my Saturday selections and they look great. We haven't had a losing week since 9-9 and I don't plan on starting this week, things look great. Jack