Monday, April 7, 2008

I'M TRYING TO LIKE SOCCER....BUT

I know I said I would have another entry this weekend but I was very busy and simply didn't have time. My son turns 9 Tuesday and because my wife is sure he's the perfect child AND her dad was a jackass and didn't believe in birthday parties, we had a 3 day celebration of my sons birth. When you mix in my sons soccer game, you can see how it might be a bit busy. 

Out of all the things we did this weekend (dinner @ melting pot, medieval fair, laser tag)  his soccer game is the thing I can't seem to recover from. I really am trying to like youth soccer but it isn't easy. Here are just a few problems. First, the game is slow. A lot like adult soccer and hockey, a lot of movement and running around, ending in a 1-1 tie! Hard for me to fire up about a tie. This week we lost something like 5-3 and the only thing I could think about is "thank God that's over". I really don't care if they ever win, I just want them to shorten the length of the game. Second, the soccer parents are ridiculous! Norman has regular soccer, elite soccer, Celtics soccer. You get the idea. The parents are screaming and yelling as if it matters if they win. If you watched some of these people you might think they had bet on the game. I can't help to wonder why they care so much? I guess I can understand the football and baseball parents that somehow when they are falling asleep, dream of their future all pro player paying for them to quit their job. If I had little to look forward to myself, I guess I could see putting my hopes and dreams in the lap of my kid. With soccer, what is the dream? That their kid will grow up to be known as  "El Blanco Pele" and move to Manchester, England so they can only see them on Holidays and at the British Open? In the meantime, they get to spend all their free time (rain or shine) sweating out a 1-0 barn burner!

I find myself hoping my son isn't any good at soccer. If your kid is great, feel free to use "El Blanco Pele" just list me in the credits of the True Hollywood Story. Of course I will need European MTV to see it.