Thursday, February 21, 2008

THINKING ABOUT SOME INSIDE INFO!!

For those of you that keep up with these entries, you know by now I am very involved in my children's life. I coach some of their sports and I take a daily roll in trying to figure out how to make my children's life happier and better than mine was. Part of this is attending the kids games and giving advice.

 My son is a decent 8 year old athlete. I always laugh when I hear a parent say " my kid is a stud!"  as if  they had a lot to do with it AND their next stop is to resign from their job because the signing bonus their kid will be getting in 10 years will solve all of the problems.  BTW, have you ever noticed the parents that had some athletic success themselves are never the ones that are bragging about their kids.  Sorry for getting off track.  As I was saying, my son is a decent athlete, he is a good listener, a hard worker and a great kid. I think that ,combined with the God given abilities, will allow him to  thrive on sports teams during his school years. If not he can always play the tuba in the band. I am serious, I may be the first parent on record to honestly say I would be OK with a tuba playing moron as long as he was happy.

and then we have my daughter.. 

  She is 5 years old and is the cutest little girl I have ever seen. We have our fourth basketball game on Saturday. I have looked at the line for this game and her 5 year old team is a 27 point underdog. The total is 31.  I will be taking the other team and the under with predicted final score of 28-2.  All of the teams have both boys and girls but the problem in our first few games is that the other teams girls are a bit better than our girls and their boys are a bit better than our boys. Not a good combination.  The good news is that,if they lose, my daughter will have nothing to do with the loss. If they win I am positive she will have even less to do with the win.  She is the youngest, one of the shortest and best dressed kids on her team but is a non factor when it comes to the game.She cant shoot,she has trouble dribbling and her defense is spotty. Honestly, I am happy about this. The last thing I want is 2 kids that are good at sports.

 The way sports are now, you have games 8 months a year in all sports and are expected to work out the other 4 months to "stay in shape"  I have friends that are going to the batting cages in February!!! Give me a break! An 8 year old has no business working on baseball in February. These little league coaches that came up with this idea need to get a life!!!! Or at least another hobby besides helping their kid burn himself out on the sport THEY are sure is going to be their ticket out of the ghetto. If they had ever played anything in their life they would know that MOST of the kids that are stars @ 8 and 9 don't even end up starting on even their high school teams.  I know they don't want to hear that but its true.

I can honestly tell you this.  I don't care if my kids are stars, I don't care if they get scholarships and if they get a signing bonus, they can keep it.  As I said before, all I am trying to do is make my kids childhood as happy as possible.

Of course I would love to have some of that "inside information" that may come from having a professional athlete. LOL.

Actually, I am 11-1 since Sunday in basketball. I don't need inside player info. We are doing just fine. Have a good weekend.