Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A few thoughts and 5th grade football season futures!! Place your bets!!!!!

I was in vegas last week and as everyone knows , vegas has felt the recession more than most places. I have thought about buying a place but the problem is, when home prices are low and people aren't going to vegas, I get lots of offers for free rooms. Then when they have recovered and the town is hopping,I stop getting as many offers! Probably just keep doing what I have been doing. I did see something new on the excalibor marquee. Apparently, you can pay 25.00 and eat all day long as many times as you want! Kind of an all- inclusive for the cheap and obese. 25.00 sounds like a great price and if the food is half way decent then that is a nice idea.

It is game week for my sons football team. I am the head coach and the offensive coordinator. Now, on the surface that sounds like a pretty easy gig for someone like me. After all,I spend most of my waking hours breaking down teams and am as well versed in football as anyone. I am positive I have forgotten more football then most men will ever know and am one of the only ones willing to put my money on my knowledge of the game
...but....
these kids are like a riddle!! It is like trying to get a group of poodles to perform the opening to lord of the dance!!! How hard is it to go into motion and pass the qb when the ball is snapped!!! It is apparently really really hard if you are 10 years old! I will ask them to simply turn around and hand the ball off and they get the ball and start dancing around like someone just turned on the dance version of you spin me right round,round ,like a record baby....
I don't get it!!! Then someone finally gets the play down and there mom comes running up and says they have to go to soccer!!!! Soccer???!!! Give me a freakin break. I get 2 hours twice a week to teach my plays and soccer is a 11 month,6 days a week,4 hours a day lesson on running around and kicking it to the wing man!! Not that hard!
Oh well, we are still early in the season and I am sure they are going to get it. We are having a great time and that is all that matters. Round robin is sunday so we will know more about where we stack up then.

Pre round robin odds to win the norman 5th grade optimist tackle football super bowl.

Cleveland/all saints.- even
The powers that be, combined the second best team from last year with the best athlete in the league(charlie something). This ,combined with a coaching change makes them the favorite.

Roosevelt - 2 to 1
The defending champs are back from last year. Along with being my nemesis on the field , they have some big hitters and a quarterback #10 that is 50 lbs soaking wet, but the kid gets it! He is the coaches kid and probably has older brothers. He finds holes and is a good leader that spreads the ball around. That combination has made them a balanced team and the second choice.

Truman ( my team ) - 5 to 1
Although we lost our quarterback and our best rush lineman on defense there is a sprinkling of good athletes on both sides of the ball. Truman also has some defensive coaches that are sure they are buddy Ryan's illegitimate kids , and the expectation of excellence on defense will help the team if the coaches don't get into a fight before the team has time to gel. The defense will keep them in most games but a lot like the chicago bears, truman has offensive issues! Starting with their head coach/offensive coordinator ( me) and ending with a group of boys that enjoy the reckless hitting that comes with defense and are resisting the discipline and effort that it takes to run my high powered offense, we have a long way to go before the playoffs. Truman does have a couple of big play threats and a group of undersized quarterbacks that are in a heated battle for the starting job. With some kids that can catch passes and quarterbacks that can all throw. Truman may end up with a hybrid version of the fun and gun before the end of the year. With 10 weeks to get the kids on the same page, don't count truman out just yet.

Jackson elementary and others- 5 to 1
This is the green team from last season that made it to the finals with 17 boys on the team and not a 1 kid over 4 feet tall and 60 lbs. It was like watching cast members from circus ole' go into the form of a football team. This season their coach gets to combine with some big kids and a few kids that have spent the last few seasons up in that infant football factory known as moore,oklahoma. They are well coached and if some of their kids are as advertised, they might surprise.

Field - 10 to 1

There are 4 other teams in the league. I don't know much about most of them. I played with one of the coaches in high school and he is great with the kids if he has the athletes. They might be the best of the rest. We will see.

These lines will change after the round robin so if you see some value,get to vegas today.

Oh,and if you are trying to make money with 5th grade future bets, you might want to get signed up with me and get some real front line winner! Have a great week.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T