Tuesday, November 20, 2007

MY TRIP TO KNOXVILLE

Last week I went to Knoxville, Tennessee. I did some radio stuff, talked to some clients, and had a good time. I took my son with me. Kind of a "go to work with daddy" trip. I struggle with how much to let my kids know about what I do. I think the guy that owns The Jack Daniels Company might can relate. You would want to show your son how what you do is helpful and profitable but worry about him showing up at the whiskey factory ass hammered drunk yelling "give me another bottle! Do you know who I am?" As in a lot of businesses, moderation and discipline are keys to success.

I took 3 things from Knoxville.

1. They are some of the kindest people around. Although I don't subscribe to this school of thinking, people in Oklahoma pride themselves on being polite and nice to strangers. The people in Knoxville are easy going and seem to care about only two things, manners and Tennessee football.

2.The women are HOT. I mean all of the women. From 21-60 years old. It doesn't matter what they were wearing. During the football game, EVERYONE was wearing orange. Orange is not a flattering color on most people but somehow these ladies pulled it off. Southern beauty is alive and well in Knoxville.

3. EVERYONE in Knoxville LOVES Tennessee football. People in Oklahoma and most parts of the country love a few teams. There isn't a Tennessee State to balance out the team spirit. The evening news started "54 people were killed downtown, in a tragic bullfighting accident ,BUT first lets see how the Vols did today!" Of course, I'm kidding, but it really is Vols football first and everything else second.

I try to get out to a lot of the cities that run my show because I like to meet my clients,face to face. I pride myself on being able to look someone in the eye and tell if they are full of s*** and I think a lot of my clients like to be able to look me in the eye and know I am on their team and I do truly care if they win.

Maybe that's just a southern thing but it did get my son and I to beautiful Knoxville.

After the horrible week I won my Monday night selection running my MNF record to 11-3 AND won again in basketball! Things are back on track and I am looking for a great Thanksgiving weekend.