Friday, August 22, 2008

LONG DAY AND THE SEASON IS ALMOST HERE

Today was the first time this yea  that I went on the radio around the country to talk about the season. It is something I enjoy doing because I feel it is a time to talk about the differences between myself and the other handicappers out there. Most in this business are dishonest and crooks. Teaching people how to see the difference between a guy that is only going to take their money and someone that can help them actually turn a profit is an important part of what I do.  Not all are bad, I have made a nice friend in Florida that is similar to me. He has a good perspective picking the games, from what I can tell he also turns a profit betting on the games and doesn't screw his clients. I feel pretty confident the main thing that makes us different than the other guys that sell their picks is WE WIN. It sounds simple but most of the scams and angels that other handicappers come up with are out of the realization that they cant win and why would anyone want to sign up with a loser.  The stations I go on with are funny. Some of them I have been with for years and know I win betting on games. Those interviews are easy because they understand the service I am doing for their listeners and the segments are easy and helpful for everyone. the new ones are sometimes a bit harder and it takes a few weeks for them to understand the differences I offer. I always ask the new hosts to contact me before our segment and most do so things run well but every year I have a couple of train wrecks during week 1. I am sure some of the people listening in those markets are left scratching their heads after I come on the first week. For example, here is how one went today...
 
HOST-   So Fat Jack, It looks like you are making everyone rich with your preseason picks. 11-3 That is awesome! Is it true that you are considered the best preseason handicapper in the country?
 
ME- Auh, No. There is no such thing as "the best preseason handicapper in the country". In fact, betting on the preseason is one of the hardest things to do if you are trying to turn a profit.
 
HOST- But you are doing so well. So do you have one huge lock 50,000 star lock you can let our listeners in on before next weeks games?
 
ME- My lock for next week is I WILL eat Furrs for dinner this weekend. You can take that one all the way to the bank. There is no secret information lock of the century coming this week but if you want to make money betting on the games over the season, I am who you need to call. If you treat betting on the games like a business and give sound selections to your clients over the season, you don't have to come up with a 50,000 star lock that may or may not win.
 
HOST- Pause,dead air Well, Jack that actually sounds great and it sounds like I need to learn more about how YOU do things.
 
(NO Sh** !!)
 
Next week will be better with him.
 
 Truth is , the preseason this year is just the beginning of what is going to be a GREAT year. Have a great weekend.