Tuesday, August 19, 2008

SOME GOOD,BAD AND UGLY

First the good. I am now 10-3 in the preseason. It is going to be a great football season and I cant wait for the regular season. I am going to tape my first show of the season(hiatus is over) tonight. Getting ready for this year has been a lot more work. I am adding a " Weekend Preview" show this season that will be a totally different show and will run in some markets prior to the weekend, thus the name. I have added some new advertisers for this show and it should be a nice compliment to the "Fat Jack Sports Hour". Just a note, if you don't want to wait for these shows to come on the radio, you can go to the pod cast part of my website and either download the shows or listen live starting on Thursday afternoons. This would be a good time for you to go listen to the show and email me with the stuff that is too offensive to run on the radio so I can try and get it changed before the weekend.lol.
 
The Bad- Little league football starts next week. It looks like I am going to coach my 9 year old sons team. I really don't have any interest in coaching his team but the other dads that would do a great job decided,for one reason or another, they were not going to be the coach. Some of the guys that I was told might end up being the coach have reputations for being real douche bags and it was looking like it might be a long miserable season for all, in fact I had 11 DIFFERENT PARENTS approach me and said if one of these 2 or 3 guys were the head coach, they were not going to play. Now that is a red flag! So I decided to go ahead and coach. I am bracing myself for some of the things I am afraid are coming. Here is the problem,not only am I not one of those little league parents, I am also one of those guys that says EXACTLY  what I am feeling. I hate those people that smile to your face and then talk behind your back so I probably have overcompensated and am known for saying things that might be better left unsaid. I am working on that but I am not sure I am going to be fixed by next week.  The other problem is I TRULY don't care weather my son is good at football or not.I have said before, I was the team captain and MVP of my high school team, voted to the 80s All Decade team for my 5A school and signed a D-1 letter to play NCAA football. I don't look for my son to carry on the family name. LOL   In fact, I really wish my son would say he wants to join a band or take up swimming so I  wouldn't have to deal with some of the 5'3 underachieving dads that I am already having to talk to.  I think most of their hearts are in the right place but some of the things they say are laughable. I don't want to quote any examples (yet) because I am trying to do the right thing. I know God doesn't want me to make fun of these idiots so I am going to try and take the high road but stay tuned, that doesn't always work out.  For those of you dads out there that might think your 9 or 10 year old is going to be the next Brett Farve, let me end your suspense. There is a 90% chance your kid is going to be about as good as you were in sports. Might be a little better or a little worse but similar so if you were a 5'3 third string moron, then chances are you are going to be able to read your sons name on the back of his jersey at the high school games because he will be the one sitting next to the water cooler the entire game.If you were a good high school player that didn't get the "right exposure" and didn't get your chance in College, your kid might need to start looking at NAIA or D-2 schools even if he is a stud in the 4th grade. I know this hurts but it may help your pain later when you realize this yourself , Finally, If you were a great player in high school and beyond then chances are I am not talking about you in this piece because you act like a winner and not like some desperate loser looking for one more chance. Of course, this doesn't apply to all parents, most are great, but it is something some parents need to hear and unfortunately it looks like I may have to be the messenger for a while.
 
THE UGLY- While in California last week my 6 year old daughter thought it would be funny to sneak up on me at the beach and fill my belly button up with sand. Now for most of you this would not be a big deal but if  your belly button looked like the hole leading to the center of the earth, it is a bigger deal. She attacked me on Friday last week and I am still pulling sand out of my belly!  The bigger problem is the friction from all of my digging around in there has caused a rash to form coming out of my belly. Just so you will know, your belly button is a lot like your pinkie toe, you don't worry about it until it hurts. Take it from me, it is no fun to have a rash coming out of your belly button.
 
Guys getting signed up every day and the free winners are paying for their service fee. Remember, it is better to sign up and win all season then it is to play on your own and pay each week. Sounds simple but some of you need to hear that. School starts for the kids tomorrow so I will be busy. Have a good week.