Tuesday, October 30, 2007

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

If I have learned one thing in life: timing is everything.

The first time I met "Mrs Fat Jack", she walked into a restaurant I was working at in college. While I was working, she was with a big group of people that were drinking their way through Oklahoma City. Now, if she had come in without her friend named "liquid courage" she might not have flagged me down to tell me how hot I was. She would have left and we wouldn't be together 15 years later. Her drunk, me looking good...timing.

Last week, my son's 8 year old flag football team had their 8th game of the season. The team was 8-0 and feeling great about themselves. Their coach had to go out of town on business and asked if I would run the team for this game. I am sure he thought "the team is undefeated, he is the Fat Jack so he must know a lot about football. What is the worst thing that can happen?" I agreed, also thinking the same thing. Well, as luck would have it, my 2 best players didn't get the memo that I was going to need them. They didn't show. I held the play book upside down more than once showing our team the plays and we forgot how to pull flags. By the end of the game I had 8 little boys looking at me crying and begging me not to put them back in the game. We are now 8-1. If I had my best players OR our coach would have been in town, it wouldn't be my fault we aren't going to make 8 year old flag football history! Timing.

Timing has also been a big story with my service this season. If you were one of those guys that wanted to get signed up before the season in order to get all the selections,which is normally the best thing to do, you were rewarded with a below average September. Those that waited until October 1 were given a 27-15 record. We won every Monday night ,went 7-2 in weekday games, turned a profit in both NCAA and NFL games and are ready for a huge November. Luckily, I gave all of the Sept clients 10 free days of service in October and we are all into profit now.

Have a great week and a Happy Halloween.