Sunday, January 27, 2008

THE BALANCE OF THINGS

It is the Sunday before the Super Bowl. I am suppose to be in LA playing poker. Every year I leave the Friday before the Super Bowl and go to LA for the LA Poker Open. This has become one of my favorite trips of the year.My wife always joins me on Monday and then we go together to Vegas to meet all of my people for the best Super Bowl party on the planet. Because I am playing a lot of poker the first few days, I always either go with one of my poker playing buddies or I go by myself. I know a lot of the pro poker players so we go eat and hang out but I leave Oklahoma alone. This has never been a problem for me. I am one of those people that doesn't mind doing things alone and frankly it allows me to clear my head before the big weekend in Vegas.

Here is the problem.

The first 2 times I went, my kids were small so it was a nice break from all of the noise. 2 years ago my son told me he was really really going to miss me but I went anyway. Last year my son said he loved me sooo much and please have fun and bring him something back. My daughter started crying and didn't understand why I was leaving. After circling the airport about 4 times I decided to go. Yesterday, I could see it was going to be tough so I decided to wait and go Monday when Caryn goes because I didn't have it in me to leave alone. I could see the balance turning over the last couple of years and I think I can say, I would rather spend the day with my kids as apposed to spending it with a bunch of grumpy bushman poker players. They will have to wait until Monday to see me, my kids needed me today.

I will let you know how it is going in LA on Tuesday. Have a good week.